Poly Drug Revisited

I apologize I didn't give more information. I have reacted to three different combinations. Regimen 1 Kaletra and Combivir, rash after 8 days. Regimen 2 was Atazanavir, Ritonavir, Tenofovir and Zerit, rash after 2.5 hours. The Ritonavir was the suspect. Regimen 3 was Atazanavir and Combivir, rash after 8 days. Am I allergic to all drugs? I have also reacted to antibiotics, sometimes trying five different ones over three weeks, all resulting in a rash where I had to stop the drugs. Thank you.

Thanks for your follow up.

You're correct in that it'd be unusual to see the rash develop to all of these medications. In reviewing your situation, I'd have to ask if you were taking sulfa (Bactrim, Septra) during this period too (with your low CD4 count). If so, this could be the culprit.

I'd doubt that you're allergic to all medications, though sometimes in rushing through so many treatments in such a short period of time, it can confuse what's causing what. Indeed, I'd (or your doctor)need to know more details about the rash; it's appearance, associated conditions, etc. It might be that the rash might be related to sun exposure or other factors, it could also be that some mild rashes can be tolerated in the short term, allowing your body to become conditioned to the drug (without discontinuation).

I'd review your situation in detail with your doctor for additional insight; and as always, feel free to write back here at TheBody.com.

Good luck, BY

Worried about HAART
Started Treatment now Reconsidering