Worried about HAART

Hi doctors,

Thank you for all the help and support. My questions is: I was infected in Feb 05. I have also tested positive for TB 9 years ago and went to treatment for 6 months. My counts are T 650 and low viral counts. Should I wait to start treatment until they get between 200-350? or should I start earlier due to my TB condition?

Please, let me know.

Thanks for your post.

You're correct that HIV and TB together tends to be a worse disease that each separately.

With such a high CD4 cell count however, I don't think that you'd have to start on HIV treatments immediately. Since you only have a few more months to go on the TB treatment, if you were my patient, I'd complete the TB treatment and then monitor your HIV disease-related health (CD4 count, symptoms).

The major reason to treat one at a time, if possible, is because of the many complex drug-drug interactions between the TB and HIV medications. This doesn't mean that they can't be treated simultaneously, but only that the treatments can be more problematic.

I hope this helps, BY

Poly Drug Reaction
Poly Drug Revisited