Can long term survivor stop meds?

I'm 61 years old and HIV + since 1984. Over the years, I've been on several cocktails. For the past three years I've been on Norvir, Reyataz, Zygen and Viread. I've never had an OI. I'm in good health and shape thanks to never having stopped working out. About five years ago, though, my legs, butt and forearms started to waste away. They're still muscular but veinous. I tried a HGH -Serostonin - injections for four months. Four weeks later, I had my old body back. Then, excessive swelling of the hands and feet set in and I was compelled to stop the injections. Since, my Dr has put me on testosterone gel to some degree of success. But my face continues to show wasting. Since 1985 my T Cells have stayed unchaged between 350 and 450. No viral load has ever been detected. Would it be smart for me to go on a cocktail holiday? Thanks, Joaquin

The fat wasting you have experienced may well be at the hands of a prior regimen(s). It is unclear if you think there has been progressive fat loss on your current therapy, which contains agents that are thought to be relatively benign when it comes to lipoatrophy.

The damage done previously may be very slow to reverse, if it is reversible at all. Concerningly, some of the interventions you have been prescribed can lead to further fat wasting. Growth hormone and androgens (like testosterone) are lipolytic - that is, they cause fat cells to pop. You may develop more muscle on testosterone that can fill out the areas where fat used to be but this hormone and its brothers are not very good at helping your fat cells regenerate.

Therefore, I would be reluctant to advise a drug holiday for body shape changes alone. However, if you are simply tired of taking your meds to the point where adherence may suffer and prior to therapy you had a low viral load, a break from meds may be in order.

Just a blip?
Fat Loss Good or Bad?