Combivir change to Kivexa (Epzicom)

Hi. I took Combivir together with Sustiva for 3 1/2 years, virus load undetectable almost immediatly CD4 always around 250, but the last year around 700. I do a lot of sports (triathlon), and noticed that during a big effort (biking), my muscles were starting to "burn" quicker than ever... I talked to my doctor and he recommended switching to Kivexa (ABC/3TC), I did the change 2-3 weeks ago (no problems with the hypersensitivity so far and still too soon to notice improvement in my sport performance), however I have notice less irritability and less mood swings. I have however some regrets for switching the Combivir/Sustiva combination because it was just working fine(no major side effects other than doing something to the mytocondri (spelled it wrong I suppose) of the cell, that was the reason my doctor gave me why my muscles were "burning", that and lactic acid in the muscle cells), and my question remains if I did fine and if I can eventually come back to Combivir (AZT more specifically) in the future without creating resistance). What do you think? I would like to say thanks for the GREAT help you have been for me. Marco

Hello and thanks for posting. There is evidence that AZT has more long-term mitochondrial toxicity than the abacavir (Ziagen) which is in Kivexa (Epzicom). Since mitochondria are the energy producing units of the cell, it makes sense to switch in a situation like yours. As a general rule, resistance does not occur when part of a HAART regimen is switched. So if you needed to go back to Combivir in the future this should not be a problem. Best of luck to you!

drug holiday and Sculptra?
do I start?