Aug 6, 2005
What do you know about claims that shiitake mushrooms are beneficial in the treatment of HIV infection. Regards Dennis
Response from Dr. Wohl
I don't know much about any effects of these mushrooms on HIV. An internet search suggests that most claims are based on the presence of proteins, such as lentin, that are apparently in the shroom and can inhibit HIV enzymes in the test tube.
Clinical testing results, I can not find.
I love shitake mushrooms and even harbor fantasies of growing them my self... innoculating the logs, shocking them in a vat of cold water to stimulate their growth, harvesting the sprouts and selling them to local fine restaurants... ah, but then I wake up and realize that as romantic as selling these fungi seems, I should not quit my day job.
Likewise, despite my love for this mushroom, I can not advise you to stop eating them but I would not quit your real life HIV therapy.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Dry Cough After Sex With Stripper Condom Broke Worried I Have HIV
- Sore On Penis After Unprotected Anal Sex Without Ejaculation Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Tingling In Feet After Blowjob Worried I Have HIV
- Vaginal Discharge After Getting Fingered Worried I Have HIV
- After Being Exposed To Hpv How Long Does It Take For Signs Of Cervical Cancer To Appear
- After Treatment For Trichomoniasis How Should You Wait To Have Sex
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.