follow up to early intervention question

Dr. Pierone,

You answered my question regarding whether I should particiapte in a clinical trial in the UK for HAART during primary conversion. I did choose to participate and at this point very happy that I did. I feel much, much better physically. My viral load is undetectable after four weeks of Kaletra/Combivir. It was over 500K six weeks ago.

I agreed to do HAART for 48 weeks. Very little side affects, so far. I know it may take years to know if this was beneficial or not, but emotionally I feel better knowing that I am doing something to help myself and possibly others.

Thank you and the other docs for being here. There are angels in America...and the UK!

Larry

Hi Larry, thanks for the follow up information. Your post brings up an often neglected consideration in the debate over early treatment. One of the benefits of prompt initiation of HAART in primary HIV infection is that it may diminish the morbidity that people experience from the acute retroviral illness (if medication-related side effects don't supervene). We tend to focus on potential long-term benefits, but some people are sick for months after primary HIV infection. Glad to hear that you are feeling better and let us know how things go in a year when you interrupt therapy.

Two doctors...two opinons
Unknown Weight Loss on HAART