Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Any validity to these claims?
Dec 13, 1999

Dear Dr. Cohen: Is there any validity to the nutritional supplements that supposedly replace glutathione in the cells there- fore enhancing the immune response naturally? There is a particular product that is covered by ADAP that I've read supposed clinical data on and I'm wondering whether glutathione replacement is important? If this product which is a milk protein isolate does do what it says it does I will certainly keep taking it, best to hit hiv from all angles.Thank you for your kind response.

Response from Dr. Cohen

Well, it is hard to know for sure.

There is some work done on some of these products. And a few of them even have a decent randomized study to show some improvements in some aspect of health - like cell mass, or even CD4 counts. Glutathione does appear important in cell health and recovery from damage and it makes sense that a supplement with it could help. We know that many who don't add these supplements can do OK - and it is unclear who "needs" to take these, or how much healthier you would be by continuing on them. But if your approach is to do all you can, this approach seems reasonable, and supported by some research.

You don't mention which product you are taking, so it is difficult to comment on the specifics. But we can say for sure that they are likely to be safe - as long as you aren't noticing any problems. (Some can acquire intolerance to milk as we age causing gas, bloating and diarrhea... since you didn't mention it this likely hasn't been your experience.)

I assume you are in New York - which has traditionally had the more generous HDAP program in the US - other states are still trying to decide if they should cover all available antivirals...

Hope that helps. CC

Previous
CHANGING COMBO?
Next
Please respond - Second Request

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.