Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

cmv/hiv
Jul 27, 2005

I have both cmv and hiv. Both are well controlled at this time. I saw somewhere that you had conducted a study regarding coinfection with cmv and hiv and increased risk of mortality. I am being followed by an excellant hiv doc at Duke. Do you have any specific recommendations for people with both?

Response from Dr. Wohl

The issue is when people have CMV actually in their blood rather than antibodies to the virus. Most people with HIV have antibodies to CMV, meaning they have been exposed to it, as do a sizable proportion of teh HIV negative population. However, most HIV+ folk do not have the virus in appreciable levels in their blood. CMV is in the same family of viruses as herpes virus and chicken pox. These viruses stay hidden in your body and only come out, usually, when the immune system is stressed.

Therefore, when the CD4 cells drop during AIDS, CMV can start to replicate and be found in the blood. CMV can then also lodge in organs like the retina of the eye and cause damage.

So, if you have CMV antibodies only, I would not worry as that has not been associated with any increased risk of mortality and this is very common. If you have evidence of a CMV viral load in the blood that is detectable, this has been linked by our group and others to doing less well. In such cases boosting the immune system with HAART is a priority. Those with CMV disease like retinitis particularly are in need for aggressive HIV therapy.

DW

Previous
re : I feel like i am changing
Next
statins and efavirenz

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.