What should I expect?

I have had HIV/AIDS about three years now. My most recent CD4 count was 10. I suffer from chronic peptic ulcers and GERD along with IBS. Have been getting GI treatment for 5 to 6 years now. I do not want treatment for the virus and do not plan on excepting treatment either. I have already gone to college and did time in the military as well. I know other people who went through treatment and it was very hard for them. My older brother died from AIDS in '94. What can I expect from my treatment decisions? Thank you, Chuck Please email directly if need be. . .

The medications that are available for HIV/AIDS now are so much better than they used to be. Although treatment can be hard for some people, there are many fewer problems with contemporary therapy. I have many patients that swore off HIV meds in the late 90s because of miserable side effects. Those who believed my impassioned argument that the newer meds really are better - and tried them, have been pleasantly surprised.

I think you really know the answer to your question choosing no treatment with a CD4 count of 10 is an unwise decision that will likely result in premature disability and death. Even people with sensitive stomachs can tolerate some of the newer medications - so give it a second consideration. Thanks for posting and best of luck to you.

Combivir vs Truvada
little break