viral load>1million

4 years ago my viral load shot up to over a million and stayed in that area for almost 2 years. My doctor insisted we wait on meds, to my surprise the viral load cmae down and is now around 40,000. My CD4 never dropped below 400 and my fraction not below 23%. What does this mean and what does it mean for the long term. Thanks, Scott

Thanks for your post.

Boy, I wish I could tell you exactly why your viral load went so high only to return to a pretty average 40,000. Perhaps you had another infection or other medical issue that activated your immune system. More likely, we'll simply not know.

If your CD4 counts remain stable in the 400 range and viral load about 40,000, I'd expect you to have an average timeline for disease progression and medications.

Your experience is certainly one that illustrates (to an extreme) why it's important to get confirmatory labs prior and consider the clinical scenario prior to making any decisions about starting medications.

Good luck, good health. BY

Please help!!!
medication timing