Garlic Pills and HIV med interactions

I have been on combivir and sustiva since January 05. It is me again. My initial counts were CD4=0 VL-350,000 4 months later - CD4 =90 % was 13% and VL<400

I just gave new blood and won't know until August what the new numbers are.

But I just read that garlic supplements can hinder your medication.... I have been taking garlic supplements will it effect my results and is that why my CD4 count is so slow in recovering? I am also on pentamidine aersol for prophylaxis as I am allergic to sulpha! Thanks for your response:) Canuck

I am aware of a study that showed garlic supplementation could lower saquinavir (Invirase) blood levels, but am not aware of interactions with the regimen that you are on. Probably best to hold off on garlic supplements regardless. It takes a while for CD4 counts to recover the average is about 150 cells in the first year, so you appear to be on track. Thanks for posting!

Mixing Meds with Vytorin
Switching to Lexiva/Telzir, Norvir and Truvada