dementia

Dear Doctor, I read today that even when the virus is undetectable with haart, dementia will eventually occur due to the interaction of the tat protien with the white matter of the brain. Are they working on any treatment for this. How often do you see dementia in practice.I thought that with haart life expectancy was near normal.What kind of a life can I look foward to with knowing I will eventually suffer from dementia , no matter how adherent I am to my medications and how high my cd4s are?

very sad in ny.

No reason to be sad actually. The risk of dementia in patients on HAART is extremely low. We used to routinely see dementia complicating AIDS, now it is distinctly uncommon, and virtually never occurs in patients with controlled virus. This is one of the major advances that has occurred in HIV medicine and is often neglected in the contemporary literature. Thanks for posting.

new HIV medicine AK602
Mixing Meds with Vytorin