Best regimen for me?

Hi Docs,

I've been positive for 3 years and my doctor wants me to start meds next month. If I want a regimen that I don't have to take with food and that won't disfigure my body...what is the easist treatment regimen to start out with???

Thank you

Thanks for your post.

Your desire to not have any diet restrictions for your HIV medications makes this a pretty easy discussion (though it would be worth having a good discussion about this with your doctor).

All current HIV regimens include two nucleoside drugs (nuke, NRTI) with either a non-nucleoside drug (non-nuke, NNRTI) or a protease inhibitor. Contemporary drug regimens can be quite easy to take and have limited risk of having body habitus changes.

Among the nukes, simple combo pills (two drugs in one pill) are the rule-- Combivir (AZT/3TC), Truvada (tenofovir/FTC) and Epzicom (abacavir/3TC) are commonly used. All can be taken without regard to diet; the later have the least risk of body fat changes.

All of the NNRTIs can be taken without regard to diet and aren't thought to cause additional risk of lipodystrophy. Nevirapine and efavirenz (Sustiva, Stocrin) are most commonly used.

Lastly, among the PIs, there's only one that can be taken without diet restriction, namely fosamprenavir (Lexiva, Telzir). This drug has been shown to have a very favorable cholesterol and body fat profile and can be administered once-daily (4 pills total).

I'd encourage you to surf our forum or the rest of TheBody for the particulars of each individual drug.

Good luck, BY

viral load,or,rather, lack of
I feel like i am changing