Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

My 2nd lab test

Dear Dr. Young Three months ago sent you my first lab test and asked you why my CD4 was too low comparing with my CD4%. They were CD4 299 22% VL 6320. Today I just got my second lab test which go another way round. They were CD4 465 16% VL 3250. Well, these figures really make me comfuse. Please tell me if the second one is better than the first one and when I am expected to take meds. FYI after I knew that I am +,just a week before my first lab test, I quit drinking alcohol and smoke less. Before that I had not have taken care of my body that well. Nooneung from Thailand

Nooneung- Thank you for your post. I apologize for the delay in reply.

It is good to hear that you have begun to focus on your health, with regard to alcohol and tobacco. Your labs show that you continue to have a very low viral load; your CD4 absolute count has risen, though the percentage has declined. In these circumstances, it is difficult to predict exactly when the best time to start treatment is, but I'll point out that your CD4 percentage is pretty close to the accepted threshold for AIDS, namely 15%.

Based on this later point, you might have to start treatment in the relatively near-term future; I'd wait for confirmatory labs in 3-4 months before starting though.

Stay in touch, good health to you. BY

Med naive
viral load,or,rather, lack of