Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

My 2nd lab test
Jul 24, 2005

Dear Dr. Young Three months ago sent you my first lab test and asked you why my CD4 was too low comparing with my CD4%. They were CD4 299 22% VL 6320. Today I just got my second lab test which go another way round. They were CD4 465 16% VL 3250. Well, these figures really make me comfuse. Please tell me if the second one is better than the first one and when I am expected to take meds. FYI after I knew that I am +,just a week before my first lab test, I quit drinking alcohol and smoke less. Before that I had not have taken care of my body that well. Nooneung from Thailand

Response from Dr. Young

Nooneung- Thank you for your post. I apologize for the delay in reply.

It is good to hear that you have begun to focus on your health, with regard to alcohol and tobacco. Your labs show that you continue to have a very low viral load; your CD4 absolute count has risen, though the percentage has declined. In these circumstances, it is difficult to predict exactly when the best time to start treatment is, but I'll point out that your CD4 percentage is pretty close to the accepted threshold for AIDS, namely 15%.

Based on this later point, you might have to start treatment in the relatively near-term future; I'd wait for confirmatory labs in 3-4 months before starting though.

Stay in touch, good health to you. BY

Previous
Med naive
Next
viral load,or,rather, lack of

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.