Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Good or bad CD4 results?

Greetings from Poland. I started treatment 11 months ago at: CD4 100 (9%), VL 9000. I am on ATV+Norvir, 3TC, 4dT XR. My results: week 4: CD4 120, VL 348 week 8: CD4 170(8.1%), VL 98 week 16: CD4 183 (8.3%), VL<50 week 24: CD4 214 (14.3%), VL<50, week 48: CD4 247 (13.7%), VL<50. I am 100% adherent.

Question: my doctor is unhappy with my CD4s; in his opinion the CD4 increase is not very impressive.

What is your opinion? What can I expect in the future?

Thanks a lot for your answer.

Thanks for your post.

It's great to hear from readers in Eastern Europe.

You've had a nice reponse to treatment, with very good viral load suppression and increase in CD4 cell counts. Yes, many clinical studies see about a 200-250 cell increase in the first year-- this is likely the basis of your doctor's dissappointment in your increase. While your CD4 cell increase are not as robust, you've gone from a very low level of immune function to one that is no longer with significant risk of AIDS complication.

I'd view this as entirely something to be excited about. I'd expect that your counts will continue to increase.

Good luck, thanks for posting. BY

To replace Azt with Viread
Changing My Meds