lymphedema

Hi, I need to ask this question and I really appreciate any answer you can give me. I am HIV+ since 1993 and I am a 40 years old male. In January 2005, I was diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma in the scrotum. The lesion was removed and I had a cat scan from my neck to my pelvis. The doctors wanted to remove the lymph nodes from my groin for biopsy, however decided to remove the iliac lymph nodes first by laser surgery because the cat scan showed that they were enlarged. I had this surgery last Tuesday. Right after the surgery, they tested the nodes and there were no tumors or any signs of cancer. I am very glad about that. However this is a preliminary test, and a more detailed testing will be conducted with the nodes. The problem is that I am experiencing fluid concentration in my abdominal area and it is making me very uncomfortable. I read many websites about "lymphedema" and I understand that it is one of the side effects of lymph nodes dissection, however I am very disappointed about it. I have an appointment with the doctor in 3 days. I wanna know if this fluid can be drained from my abdominal area and if this will be a life long ordeal. Can this fluid provoke any other infection in my organs? I have so many questions about this, and I did not have any one to ask to. I really appreciate any answers you can give me about this. Thanks,

This is really such a specialized question that I think will be best answered by your surgeon rather than HIV docs. I have never had a patient have this procedure nor have I experience with abdominal swelling following such surgery.

Your questions are all good ones. Talk to your docs at your up coming visit.

Meds or not???
Vitamines+VL