Confused about meds in pregnancy

please help i was diognosed in dec when i found out i was pregnant infected between august and then , i have been taking anti viral theropy because of pregnancy not because blood counts viral or cd4 was bad,and know about the azt IV and c section i have done these things as preventative ,just now i was informed thru Vegas doc that the babies there with my viral load none detectable and these things i have done they give the babies bactrum, then i go to my ob who is in kingman arizona who had consulted with the childrens hospital in pheninix and they say azt drugs for baby for 8 weeks or something , does anyone know what the azt drugs do to babies ? are there long term side affects?if a child is reading negative why azt ? will it ultimatly prevent him from getting this virus i thought i was doing the stuff to prevent transmision before birth.the chance was suppose to be down to 1% as long as i did not nurse.....testing every few months would determine the results so what are the chances ? i am so confused about this i have no HIV doctor in kingman there is no treatment for over a hundred miles in any direction here in arizona there behind 20 years in time...Please reply and pass to anyone who can help explain this to me i do not wish to put these drugs into my son if not proven nessessary i need to know what is going on i am so worried lost and alone :(

Hello and thanks for posting. Here is a link to the Public Health Services Guidelines on prevention of maternal-infant HIV transmission. The standard is to give the infant AZT for 6 weeks following delivery because this was the procedure when the study was originally performed. In this trial the infants that received AZT had no difference in short and long-term side effects compared with those on placebo so it appears to be safe. Whether the 6 week course of AZT for the infant is longer than necessary is not currently known, but again, the risk of AZT in this setting is minimal. Hope that this helps and best of luck to you.

Videx + Zerit??
Dexpak long term side effects