Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Confused about meds in pregnancy
Jul 9, 2005

please help i was diognosed in dec when i found out i was pregnant infected between august and then , i have been taking anti viral theropy because of pregnancy not because blood counts viral or cd4 was bad,and know about the azt IV and c section i have done these things as preventative ,just now i was informed thru Vegas doc that the babies there with my viral load none detectable and these things i have done they give the babies bactrum, then i go to my ob who is in kingman arizona who had consulted with the childrens hospital in pheninix and they say azt drugs for baby for 8 weeks or something , does anyone know what the azt drugs do to babies ? are there long term side affects?if a child is reading negative why azt ? will it ultimatly prevent him from getting this virus i thought i was doing the stuff to prevent transmision before birth.the chance was suppose to be down to 1% as long as i did not nurse.....testing every few months would determine the results so what are the chances ? i am so confused about this i have no HIV doctor in kingman there is no treatment for over a hundred miles in any direction here in arizona there behind 20 years in time...Please reply and pass to anyone who can help explain this to me i do not wish to put these drugs into my son if not proven nessessary i need to know what is going on i am so worried lost and alone :(

Response from Dr. Pierone

Hello and thanks for posting. Here is a link to the Public Health Services Guidelines on prevention of maternal-infant HIV transmission. The standard is to give the infant AZT for 6 weeks following delivery because this was the procedure when the study was originally performed. In this trial the infants that received AZT had no difference in short and long-term side effects compared with those on placebo so it appears to be safe. Whether the 6 week course of AZT for the infant is longer than necessary is not currently known, but again, the risk of AZT in this setting is minimal. Hope that this helps and best of luck to you.

Previous
Videx + Zerit??
Next
Dexpak long term side effects

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.