Truvada: timing, food and storage FOLLOW-UP

Dr. Wohl,

Thanks, as always, for your time, and for your recent response to the German patient who wrote with three questions re: Sustiva and Truvada. But you only answered two of the questions! Since I'm also on this regimen, I'm very interested in that third question:

"...the patient information says that Truvada has to be kept in its original container and that the container has to kept tightly closed. Is Truvada really so 'sensitive'? Would it be an issue if I prepared in advance some daily dosis by putting the Truvada tablets in small boxes together with the Sustiva pills?"

I've been preparing a week's worth of doses this way for a year and a half now, including Truvada ever since it was first introduced last year. And I've remained undetectable throughout. So I'd hate to think that I've been reducing the potency of my meds by leaving them outside their airtight container for up to a week.

Thanks, D

I contacted sources at Gilead Sciences, the makers of Truvada regarding this issue. Officially, the company has to stand by their package insert and recommend that the drug be kept in its container with the lid tight.

But, the company has dispensed pill boxes in the past without any unusual cautionary statements. Further, there is no evidence that I am aware of that Truvada is more sensitive to environmental conditions than any other NRTI.

Personally, in the absence of date to the contrary, I think using a pill box for Truvada is perfectly fine. If there was a major problem, I think we would know it by now.

Sorry for the delay. Thanks

Thank you....
is this common?