My partner is HIV+and he wont quit smokin

My partner is Hiv+ which he just found out about a month ago. He has been smoking for about 20 years. How bad is it having Hiv and being a smoker? How can I help him quit? I am worried this could worsen his immune system. Thank you for your help.

Thanks for your post.

Sorry for the delay in my response. Smoking remains a serious health threat, whether one is HIV+ or HIV-. There are some data that suggest that persons with HIV are at greater risk of tobacco-related lung disease (and perhaps heart disease too). I'm not aware of studies that indicate that tobacco accelerates immune decline.

The thing is, though, that both diseases are slowly progressive. So, the need to quit smoking isn't immediate, nor is the need to jump into HIV therapy.

The best advice that I have for you is to be supportive of good health decisions for your partner; to encourage getting HIV care, to encourage other healthy habits, such as smoking reduction, healthy diet and exercise.

Good luck, thanks for posting. BY

Meds Combo
Fast Progressor