viramune 2 times or 2 @once

I went to see my physican yesterday and he changed my meds from trizivir with viramune to epzicom with viramune to avoid mitochondrion toxicity by removing the AZT. He also said that I could take the 2 viramune tablets once a day with the epzicom vs. 1 pill twice a day. Is the viramune as useful with the combined dosage as it is when the dosage is split? Thanks

Hello and thanks for posting. Although Viramune is not FDA approved for once daily use, the pharmacokinetics (blood levels after dosing) of this agent support once daily dosing and this is how I typically prescribe it.

Diabetes HIV Sugars
Taking Reyataz-Norvir-Truvada-Sustiva