stopping combiv/sustiva for month or two to change from sustiva

Is it ok to stop the combination of combivir and sustiva for 2 months without creating resistance? At the end of the 2 months I will start back with combivir, reyataz (AT2/RIT) with a booster (ritonavir). Chuck,Fort Worth. TX

Chuck-

Thanks for your post and questions. Provided that your current HIV viral load is undetectable, it should be ok to discontinue your current treatment prior to starting your new one. Many doctors are concerned about the possibility of resistance emerging during the discontinuation of Sustiva-based treatments, because of the very long half life of this medication (when compared to the half life of Combivir). Because of this (but without any prospective clinical trials data), I'll recommend stopping Sustiva a day or two prior to stopping Combivir. I'd certainly discuss this with your doctor before stopping.

Lastly, I'd wonder if it might be better from a resistance standpoint, to switch directly from Sustiva to your new boosted PI regimen.

Either way, you should be ok, but talk to your doctor about your concerns. Good luck, BY

Are 2 PI's Enough?
Diabetes HIV Sugars