Choosing threatment during primary infection

Choosing regimens during primary infection.

Im 24 years old and Ive got infected a month ago to the day. Still got primary infection symptoms though a bit milder now (sore throat, diarrhoea, headache). Thinking of starting a 6-12 month treatment as soon as possible, in order to save what I can So my question is what regimens would you prescribe? Or what kind of HAART: NRTI + protease or NRTI + Non-NRTI? Would a protease inhibitor save more of the undamaged tissue than going with a Non-NRTI? I think that I would like the most effective result, to save as much tissue as possible. Would you also recommend additional medications based on resent studies? Please feel free to discuss other aspects that could affect my situation like resistance. Should I use less modern drugs now in order to have more options later on? Many questions yes, but I would much appreciate a quick respond as I would like to start medication as soon as possible. Thank you for your time :-)

Hello and thanks for posting. Unfortunately, due to a backlog of questions we are not equipped to provide prompt responses to time-dependant issues like yours. So I expect that you have probably already made your treatment decision.

In the treatment of primary HIV infection there is no strong reason to favor a protease inhibitor-based regimen over a NNRTI-based cocktail; both have been used successfully to suppress viral replication. If you expect to adhere fully to the regimen, then resistance should not be an issue. My personal approach is to recommend a NNRTI-based regimen (Sustiva and Truvada) for its simplicity and high response rate. Hope this helps and let us know what happens (or has happened).

How do they Improve HIV Medicines?
Drop in CD4 while on meds