Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Treatment during serocoversion vs. treatment naive
Jun 27, 2005

I recently tested positive late April with infection occuring early March. My inital lab results were CD4 873 and VL 194,000. My 2nd lab results 2 weeks later CD4 984 VL 11,000. I am contemplating entering a clinical trial and will receive treatment for 12 or 48 weeks. Because my labs are good and basically had a silent seroconversion and my CD4s didn't crash is it better to remain treatment naive versus the potential benefits of a short pulse of treatment?

Response from Dr. Pierone

The short answer is that we don't know. More recent information suggests that treatment within 2 weeks of seroconversion may translate into long-term benefit. There may also be some advantage for those starting treatment within 3 months of seroconversion, but the study results are mixed. The way that we eventually answer these important questions are with randomized, controlled trials, like the one you are considering. The decision to participate depends on your individual preferences and if you feel this particular study is right for you. Good luck to you and let us know how things turn out.

Previous
med or no med
Next
How do they Improve HIV Medicines?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.