Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

med or no med
Jun 26, 2005

Hi, I just found out I was tested hiv pos. I am in a study that test my cd4's and my viral load quite often. Due to the fact, they are trying an experiment on rather or not its more benefical in the long run to start meds right away. I have mixed emotions on this. Due to the fact that its a flip of a coin. My, cd4 is 635 and my viral load is 22,700. I am curious on the best option or best way to apporch the situation. They think that I don't need to start now. But I have the option either way. I just want to make the best decision. Thank u for ur time and patience.

Response from Dr. Wohl

Being in a clinical trial is a big and personal decision. The trial may help you (or not) and it will help advance understanding of how to treat HIV.

Your CD4 cell count is high and your viral load moderately low. Outside a study, you would not typically be placed on HIV therapy. So, for you, the 'risk' is getting assigned to treatment. What is this risk? Starting therapy relatively early could have a downside such as if resistance develops to the meds. This is minimized with great adherence.

If you are not prepared to start therapy at this point the trial may not be for you. Talk to your doctor. Ask what he/she would do in your shoes or if their sister was in your shoes. Then decide.

DW

Previous
Sick on meds
Next
Treatment during serocoversion vs. treatment naive

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.