med or no med

Hi, I just found out I was tested hiv pos. I am in a study that test my cd4's and my viral load quite often. Due to the fact, they are trying an experiment on rather or not its more benefical in the long run to start meds right away. I have mixed emotions on this. Due to the fact that its a flip of a coin. My, cd4 is 635 and my viral load is 22,700. I am curious on the best option or best way to apporch the situation. They think that I don't need to start now. But I have the option either way. I just want to make the best decision. Thank u for ur time and patience.

Being in a clinical trial is a big and personal decision. The trial may help you (or not) and it will help advance understanding of how to treat HIV.

Your CD4 cell count is high and your viral load moderately low. Outside a study, you would not typically be placed on HIV therapy. So, for you, the 'risk' is getting assigned to treatment. What is this risk? Starting therapy relatively early could have a downside such as if resistance develops to the meds. This is minimized with great adherence.

If you are not prepared to start therapy at this point the trial may not be for you. Talk to your doctor. Ask what he/she would do in your shoes or if their sister was in your shoes. Then decide.

Sick on meds
Treatment during serocoversion vs. treatment naive