New single Pill

Hi Doctors, Last year my doctor here in the bay area told me I would be eligible to change to a single pill to replace my current regimen of " Sustivs, Viread and Epivir " , Is this drug now available and if so what is it called, Also I ahve been on these drugs for 18 months , all my levels are good, VL < 75, CD4 685 , Is it wise to ask for a drug holiday and what would be the negatives if I did? , Thankyou in anticipation, Kevin

Kevin- Thanks for your post and question.

The single pill that you and your doctor refer to is not yet available, though in development though a novel collaboration between Gilead (the makers of tenofovir and FTC) and BMS (the maker of efavirenz-- Sustiva). The companies are working on getting the single pill formulation, to make sure that all three drugs have the same quantity and medical potency as their component parts.

If you're tolerating your current regimen well, I wouldn't recommend stopping at this point. One reason not to stop is the risk of developing drug resistance during the treatment interruption. While low risk, if resistance should occur, it would prevent the use of the single pill (or other options as well).

It would also be worth exploring your reasons for considering a holiday with your doctor-- there may be aspects of your current regimen that your dissatisfies with. If so, these should be addressed prior to making any treatment changes, as the triple combo pill will likely have very similar, if not identical side effects to the medications that you are already taking.

Good luck, thanks for reading. BY

timpanivir
What Med's do I use?