Sulfameth / Bactrum

Hello... I was diagnosed a year ago. At the time I didn't even suspect being positive, because I had long tested negative... and quickly changed my behavior thereafter. Anyway, I developed what I thought was a stubborn case of bronchitis a year ago. After repeated visits to the doctor, they finally took an xray and determined I had pcp. That's when I found out the virus was present and way advanced. My tcells were 52, VL304K. Ouch! Aside from the cough, I felt fine. I never had to be hospitalized. The doc's put me on meds right away. First a strong dose of Sulfameth (the generic for Bactrum. Also Combivir/Sustiva... My tcells are now 361, VL undetectable. My question... Should I still be taking the daily dose of Sulfameth(one pill a day)? Is there a chance that I will develop some kind of resistance to it? A year on this antibiotic seems like an awefully long time. What are the chances that the PCP will creep back without the antibiotic? Is my doc, prescribing the med to ward off other infections?

Thanks for you time.

Thanks for your post.

It sounds like you've had a terrific response to treatment for HIV. To the point, it should be very safe to discontinue the Sulfameth (Bactrim, Septra, TMP/SMX) with your CD4 counts.

So long as your CD4 count remains above 200, there's no measurable risk of having Pneumocystis.

Good luck and good health to you. BY

Doing well virologically, but would like to improve other areas
Meds Combo