Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Viread to be taken with food, or not?
Jun 21, 2005

Why does everything I read on the Internet state that Viread does not need to be taken with food, yet my pharmacy always puts a little sticker on my Viread bottle that says "Take medication WITH FOOD"? I take Viread along with Viramune and Epivir and have been undetectable since August 2003, but I have always taken the medicine with food. I would rather not take it with food, yet when I asked the pharmacy, they said it is "just better to take it with food." Am I putting myself at risk if I do not take the medication with food? This is the third time I have submitted a question and I am eager for a response.

Response from Dr. Wohl

Food or no food, that is your question. Well, stickers be damned, no food is fine. The blood level of Viread can increase with a very fatty, super size me, meal but a light meal produces similar levels as no food.

The FDA approved package insert for the drug states it can be taken with or without food since even without food the levels are sufficient to suppress HIV. Of course, the same goes for Truvada which has tenofovir and FTC in it.

DW

Previous
Sore mouth and too much saliva
Next
Doing well virologically, but would like to improve other areas

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.