recurrent mrsa treatment options

Doctor,

This past March I was diagnosed with a MRSA colony in my nose. It was cultured and treated with a 10 day cycle of Zyvox and Bactraban. A couple of weeks after completion I developed another colony on my knee and my buttock. I was put back on Bactraban and Zyvox for 14 days. Two weeks after completion I got another outbreak on my chest. I was put back on Zyvox for 14 days and Rifampin for 10 days simultaneously.

I went to an ID specialist today and I was told that I should go on Cipro for 3-6 months when I complete my current antibiotc course this Sunday (please note I was cultured after each outbreak and the cultures all produced the same results, and Cipro would be effective). He told me that at this point the MRSA would definitely come back if I didn't try something more drastic. I was also told that meth use can contribute to recurrance, although he couldn't confirm this. I am (honestly) a recreational user with use about once a month.

Do you concur with his treatment suggestion. Should I go on such a long course of antibiotics? Do you see a connection with meth use and recurrance? BTW I am HIV neg as of my last test in December.

Thanks in advance, David

This sounds like a logical plan based on the recurrent nature of the infection. Some authorities also feel that skin de-contamination with an anti-bacterial rinse like Hibiclens may be helpful too. Methamphetamine use is linked to a greater risk of infections in multiple studies and should be avoided. Good luck to you.

Neupogen
please help