The Doc says "not to",i read everywhere "to do so"

I am a Greek living in Greece.I was tested HIV positive 40 days ago.My VL was 287.000 and my CD4 was 305.When they took my blood sample i had serious pneumonia.A week ago i gave blood again to be tested to see how the VL and CD4 are.The Doc said that i shouldnt take any meds before we get the next blood results(and that they may differ a lot to the first ones so not to need meds yet) but i read everywhere (even in "thebody.com) that i shold have already started the meds?

Thank you for your post.

I'm sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis.

I'm with your doctor on this one. If your only set of labs were drawn right around the time that you were seriously ill, the values for viral load and CD4 count can be temporarily off; a repeat set of labs might indicate something different.

Either way, getting a second set of labs (if possible) is often helpful, since there is so much variation in labs from day to day (I'll average the two to estimate "baseline"). Further, there's no immediate need to rush into treatment.

So, in sum, I'd let the pneumonia get better; begin to learn about your optimal treatment options and ways to be adherent (should you ultimately need to start).

Good luck, feel free to right back with other questions. BY

Body weight/med dosages
Alcoholic Hepatitis