Taking Meds every other day

Hello:

Two questions about dosing.

First, I was curious to know what studies are being done with what regimens for taking meds every other day.

Recently a friend of mine who is taking truvada/reyataz (first line of treatment vl=0 and tcell=400) has started taking his meds every other day. He has done this with a discussion of his DR.

I have heard small reports but nothing substantial for this.

Also I had another question. My regimen is viramune/truvada with vl=0 and tcell about 480. I take my meds in the morning and have never missed a dose in the 1 1/2 years I have been taking them.

I have heard that viramune has a long half life, even lasts in the bloodstream weeks after stopping (if this is correct?) Would it make sense that when you get to undet to halve your viramune dose so it would be easier on the liver?

Thanks for this site and your help.

Thank you for your post.

While I'm not informed about every study on antiretroviral medications, I'm not personally aware of any large studies looking at every other day dosing.

I'd would not suggest this strategy to you given fact that the existing reviewed clinical material have not proven the safety of every other day. No antiretoviral medication has an FDA-approved, nor guideline suggested every other day dosing; I can't recommend this to my patients.

In short, why risk your long term health and long-term treatment options in the short term? I'd wait for additional information.

That said, keep us informed of your decisions and outcomes. BY

baby due
available alternative to CCR5 inhibitors?