poor nations

I am sitting at my computer in tears having just read the post from the person who is "In a very poor country" finding him/herself unable to access Sustiva. I am a physician myself and a person with HIV. How lucky I am to be in the USA with good insurance.

You have created such a powerful and important service that provides lifesaving information to people throughout the world. How rare that you have created a community of regular readers that span the divide from "western" and "developing" worlds.

I'm not out to save the world (or maybe i am). But would it be too idealistic to think that if a community canexist around exchange of information, that a community could exist where one person at a time we could assure treatment as well.

Rather than the impersonal funding of large projects in the developing world I'm thinking of a personal one on one "CARE" type model where individuals are "adopted" (by those more fortunate to be born in Western nations) to receive access to care not otherwise available. Is anyone doing this to your knowledge?

Dear Doctor--

Thanks for your post and kind words. There are many persons who help with the developing world-- in many different ways and capacities.

While most work through a variety of organizations or NGOs, I'd see no reason why your very interesting proposal couldn't work.

I'm not aware of any such program in existance at this time, but maybe this thread could be the start...

BY

Nail Fungus
long term non progresser