Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Is my Dr. qualified to say I have aids without a test?
May 28, 2005

I had alump removed from neck yesterday, today my doctor called me to come to his office and told me I had Aids. He then sent me for an HIV test. Can he make an accurate diagnosis without any testing? Can the lump they removed from my neck POSITIVELY prove that I have aids? I have been maried 25 years and am certain there has been no other partners for my husband or myself. We have never used illegal drugs. I am a nurse and have had needle sticks in the past. Please answer me. I also have two grown children 20 and 21 is there ANYWAY they could be infected?

Response from Dr. Young

Thanks for your questions.

I don't know how the diagnosis of AIDS can be made without an antibody test. I'm also not aware of any tissue biopsy that could lead a doctor to this conclusion.

Either way, I'd ask to have a formal HIV ELISA and Western blot test prior to drawing any conclusions. BY

Previous
Adopting a Ukrainian child who had a HIV-positive mother
Next
Liquid Kaletra

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.