Fuzeon/Tipranavir/Viread

Greetings! Back around Jan. 1st. I started a salvage treatment. Fuzeon-Tipranavir-Viread-Norvir&Trizivir. I had VERY good results Viral load going from 500,000 down to under 500 and t-cells going from 155 up to 475 as of today. Heres the thing I have stayed on the Fuzeon and Tipranavir and Viread only for the past 2 months. the other 2 drugs(Norvir & Trizivir) seemed to make me feel like crap. I did not tell my Dr. that I altered the regiment and today when i went for my visit my viral is now 7000. Not much but I feel that I need to add the 2 drugs back to my regiment to kep it under control and I'll deal with he side effects.. Is this ok and safe to restart these two??? Thnaks for your help!

Thank you for your post.

Your case saddly illustrates the need for patients to stay in communcication with their doctors.

I'm very concerned about your situation--- it's clear that the ritonavir (Norvir) in you regimen was essential for making tipranavir sufficiently potent to suppress your virus. Your rising viral load is entirely consistent with the loss of potency of the overall regimen and raises the potentially real issue of new drug resistance. What makes this all the more urgent is that resistance to enfuvirtide (Fuzeon, T20) can occur quite rapidly in the face of inadequate potency of the remainder of the regimen.

So, the first thing to do is to inform your doctor of your treatment modifications and the implications to your treatment. I'd certainly want you back on Norvir, if not Trizivir too-- perhaps there might be a way to modify your regimen to adjust for the adverse symptoms that you were experiencing.

It should be ok to resume the medications, though I'd want to think if some of the side effects that you were having could have been related to the abacavir hypersensitivity reaction (probably not, but I'd review this with your doctor).

Hopefully, things will return to the good viral load and continued immune health.

So, give your doctor a call; let us know how things turn out. BY

just tested pos
Adopting a Ukrainian child who had a HIV-positive mother