Sustiva at night?

Hi Dr. Boyle:

I started taking Sustiva right after it first came out. Needless to say, I was one of those poor souls who got nearly psychotic from sleep deprivation and wierd dreams, etc. I did eventually adjust my night time dose so that I would take it around 9:00pm. This did seem to help a bit. My problem is that I'm now working the late shift at my job, 1pm to 9pm. This means that my "morning" dose is taken at about 11:00am. The only time I can really take my evening dose (except for at bedtime) is on my dinner break at around 6pm. Is this a problem?

Response from Dr. Boyle

Sustiva levels in the body are usually very good and it also has a long half-life (the time it takes for 1/2 of Sustiva to be eliminated). As a result, while it is generally not recommended that doses be split, the way you are taking it should not be a problem. Of more concern is the other drugs you are taking and some of those may not be quite as forgiving as Sustiva and may require that you stick closer to an "every 12 hours" dosing schedule. You should discuss this with your doctor to make sure your current schedule is not a problem with other medications, but it should not be a problem with the Sustiva. BB

Once a day meds