Do I really need norvir?

Hello, I am currently on Reyataz and Truvada. I am doing very well virologically (month 2 I became undetectable) on it. However, I recently saw a different HIV specialist to get another opinion on something my regular doctor had said. This guy says that I need norvir to boost the reyataz and that without it, the combination is all wrong. My doctor says that I am doing well so he doesn't see the need to add anything. So who should I listen to? Is the norvir really as crucial to the combination as the other guy thinks or is my medicine find since I am doing well on it?

I actually vote for doctor number 2. Reyataz and Tenofovir (a component of Truvada) have a drug-drug interaction that can reduce the level of Reyataz by 25% or so. Boosting with Norvir will help overcome this reduction in Reyataz levels.

Although you are doing well now, durable suppression of the viral load requires potent therapy and adequate drug levels.

I would try to add the Norvir at 100 mg a day and decrease the Reyataz to 300 mg a day. If you tolerate it (and can afford it!) you will be in a better position to have the regimen keep working for you. Remember, no proton pump inhibitors (Nexium, Prilosec, etc) as these rduce absorpsion of Reyataz even with Norvir.

D

re: Challanging the ol' Davester
HAART; Taken for life, literally.