Recently Started Treatment

Hello; I became infected with HIV in August of 2003 and blood test confirmed infection in Jan 2004. My viral load went from initial doctor visit of 39K to 60K to over 100K and then back to 87K. After 4 doctor visits, I was informed that I needed to start treatment. When I started treatment 6 weeks ago, my one month blood work showed viral load drop to 854 and CD4 up 440. My question is, is this typical? I am on Truvada+Sustiva. How does resistance happen? I am afraid that one day, I will walk in and told that the meds no longer work.

Thanks for your post.

You've had a very nice initial response to treatment. I'm not sure if you meant that your CD4 count changed 440 cells (or went up to an absolute value of 440), but a viral load drop from 87,000 to 850 is a 99% (2 log) decrease. This later point is highly predictive of long term potency of your regimen-- provided that you can find the ways to continue to be adherent to the treatment.

Truvada and Sustiva is one of the easiest to take, two pill-per-day regimens out there. With good adherence and medical monitoring, there is only a very small chance that it will have problems.

Good luck, keep us posted. BY

sustiva very urgent
life span