Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Urgent information. Confirmed seroconversion. Starting Rx.
May 25, 2005

I have confirmed seroconversion illness and would like information about starting treatment at this stage of HIV infection. I understand that potent therapy now can lower my viral "set point" and this has been investigated by several studies. I would like to weigh up the benefits of starting now, rather than waiting (potentially for years) before starting treatment. Has there been any FIRM evidence to indicate that starting treatment during a seroconversion illness improves longer term outcomes (prognosis). I do not want to start medication unless there is CLEAR evidence that there are tangible benefits to doing so. If I do start treatment does this mean I will hyave to KEEP taking the meds? Thanks for you time - please would you respond urgently with this information. Richard

Response from Dr. Pierone

We don't yet have clear and convincing evidence that prompt treatment of primary HIV infection improves long-term prognosis. There are ongoing randomized, controlled trials that may provide a definitive answer. What we do have are a series of observational studies that suggest potential benefit. A recent study indicated that there may be long-term benefit primarily in patients that start during or within 2 weeks of seroconversion.

Most of these studies include a decision to stop therapy after some period of time to see if the early intervention accomplished anything. Most people starting therapy for primary HIV infection outside of a clinical trial would also likely be planning to stop at some point. When to stop? We don't have a definite answer but one year is a round number that many choose. Hope this helps and best of luck.

Previous
re:switch to viramune
Next
Sustiva

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.