Sustiva and Epzicom combo

Hello Dr Pierone,

A year ago I started treatment (diagnosed in Dec 2003 and started treatment in June 2004). After a year of Lexiva, Norvir and Epzicom my HIV doctor recommended a new regimen due to continued increased of cholesterol/triglycerides/lipds plus I started having mild fat redistribution on my belly and on the sides of my hip. He recommended Sustiva and Epzicom. My VL is undetectable and my Tcells are in the high 700s. Don't smoke/no rec-drugs here. Healthy life-tyle, workout, etc. Just wanted to know your thought on the proposed regimen of Sustiva and Epzicom. Can this regimen cause damage to my mental stability... long term? continued increase lipids? facial wasting/lypo? What's your advice, words of wisdom about this regimen?

Thanks so much for your help and for all you do!

Regards,

Elias

This is a reasonable switch strategy for managing PI induced lipid and body fat changes. Most people have neurocognitive issues with Sustiva during the first few weeks of therapy and these side effects generally resolve. However, some people have ongoing sleep disturbance, vivid dreams, and occasionally worsening of depression related to Sustiva. The metabolic risks involved with long-term PI use may be considerable, so a change to this regimen may be worthwhile. Let us know how things go whatever decision you may. Thanks for posting.

re: hiv+behavior
re:switch to viramune