CD4 20

Hello Dr. Young

My sister was told her CD4 was 20 previous to this she had pneumonia followed by a rash covering her body and severe headaches. The Dr. has told her she is HIV negative and has not started her on any drugs for HIV yet. She lives in Thailand where the Dr.'s are reluctant to give out any information to anyone including patients. Is it possible with her symptoms she is HIV negative? Thank you for any help you can offer us.

Thanks for your post.

I would be very concerned if your sister really did have a CD4 count of 20-- this would be suggestive of HIV/AIDS, though a confirmatory HIV ELISA or Western blot test would be required. Alternatively, she could have very recent, or acute HIV infection with a negative antibody test, and very severely lowered CD4 count.

I bet that if you contact one of the many excellent AIDS service organizations in Thailand that you may be able to find a facility that does free HIV testing; this might be able to sort these issues out for you.

Either way, it does sound as if she could use good medical attention.

Good luck, BY

Multi Symptom Regimen
Low CD4 but afraid to get HIV treatment