Ziagen HSR!!

Dear Doctor,

Thank you for taking the time to read my question. I have been on Epzicom and Sustiva for the last two weeks. Yesterday I began to notice a rash that began to appear on my entire body. Although it did not cause any discomfort, it still worried me due to the potential HSR side effects of abacavir. Please tell me doctor, should I be worried? I also had a very mild fever a few hours later. This was the first time I had noticed this reaction. Thank you for your time.

I suspect this more likely a reaction to the sustiva rather than an abacavir hypersensitivity reaction. I say this because, typically the HSR involves more than a rash. People usually start to feel ill with aches and nausea - like they have caught a bad cold.

If it continues to be just a rash, it is almost certainly sustiva, especially if it does not get worse. I would still see your doctor. Many people can continue treatment through the rash and it will resolve but in some cases, the rash can progress. Also, if there were any other meds started around the same time (i.e. PCP prophylaxis) that could also be the culprit.

Re: HIV Blowjob
first time meds - change over time?