Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Sequencing
May 21, 2005

Dear Doctor,

My labs are the following: CD4 178; VL >100,000. My doctor began my regimen with Dapsone, I could not tolerate Bactrim. The antiretrovirals are Sustiva+Epzicom. What are your thoughts on this regimen? How soon should I expect failure/resistance on this regimen? If this is the case, what other future options could I probably have in the future? I will appreciate any respond. Thanks for all the work you do in this great website.

Response from Dr. Young

Thanks for your post.

Assuming that you continue to take your medications faithfully and you didn't acquire drug resistant virus, the combination of Epzicom and Sustiva should work very well.

In the CNA30021 and CNA30024 clinical studies, about 70% of patients never had a viral load greater than 50 copies after one year of treatment. Among the ~10% with viral failures, drug resistance mutations were only seen in about half (or ~5% of patients). Many of these patients had baseline drug resistance, emphasizing the importance of getting drug resistance testing before starting on treatment.

The kind of resistance seen among these patients is the key part of the preservation of future treatment option question. Most of these patients developed resistance to efavirenz (Sustiva) and 3TC (half of Epzicom). Additional resistance to abacavir was very rarely seen. Hence, patients who had the emergence of drug resistance were likely to compromise the use of future NNRTIs and some NRTIs, but should have quite a few future options, including the thymidine nukes, tenofovir and all protease inhibitors.

I hope this helps to clarify your question. Feel free to write back with any additional concerns.

Good luck, keep up the adherence. BY

Previous
2nd Set of Labs and I'm Confused
Next
Bad Side Effects

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.