Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

treatment
May 21, 2005

hi dr young.it's jose from portugal again.i've forgot to ask you'r opinion about one thing.i entend this summer to spend my hollidays in angola,africa.i need to take the yellow fever vaccineto enter in to the country.i went yesterday to a doctor of tropical diseases.he told that i can take the yellow fever vaccine because i have 540 cd4.i would like your opinion.do you think that i can have some problems related to this vaccine.i'm going to get some more vaccines for this trip.do you think that my cd4 will decreased because of the vaccinations?if so,is it very much?.i would apprechiate your opinion. once again thank you for your work and dedication to all of us who suffer from this disease.

jose

Response from Dr. Young

Jose, Thank you for your question. It is good to hear from you again.

We usually advise persons with HIV infection to avoid vaccines that use live viruses (like yellow fever, mumps or rubella). As such, I avoid administering these vaccinations unless there is a real indication. That said, if you're going to Angola, there's a real risk of yellow fever and vaccinations are recommended.

There are recent studies that show that the yellow fever vaccination appears to be safe among persons with normal CD4 cell counts, like you.

So overall, there wouldn't appear to be any significant risk with the vaccine-- make sure to let your doctor know about any symptoms that you're having after getting the shot.

Lastly, thanks for your continuing support and words. Have a great trip to Africa. BY

Previous
Regimen Question
Next
2nd Set of Labs and I'm Confused

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.