considering treatment

I'm newly diagnosed (about 8 months now), and considering starting treatment. My early labs had my CD-4s above 500, with a ratio around 31-33%. My labs from Feb were CD-4 at 388 with a ratio of 28% and a viral load of 40,000. My most recent labs (a couple of weeks ago) were a CD-4 level of 438 a ratio of 27% and a viral load of 37,100. The nurse practitioner of the study I'm enrolled in has said that that's OK. I've heard various opinions, both in accord with her and opposite. I have an appointment with my PC on June 1, and I just don't know whether beginning HAART right now would be a good idea or not. My original feelings were put off HAART as long as safely possible, and I just don't know if that's now or later.

Thanks for your post.

I'd agree with your NP that now is not a time to urgently rush into HIV treatments. It is always a good idea however, to get routine monitoring of your viral load and CD4 count to see if there is any significant drop off over time. I'd have you search our forum for other's questions about when to start-- you'll find that your situation is not uncommon.

Good luck, good health to you. BY

Newly Poz and Now in Meds
Kaletra's Interactions with Street Drugs