Newly Poz and Now in Meds

2 weeks ago I learned I have HIV. We, docs and I, believe that I seroconverted 2.5 months ago. The first tests were C4 380 18%; and 480,000 vl. My doc, IP, suggested, based on % and vl, to start meds. I'm now on Lexiva and Truvada. What do you think about this diagnosis and strategy? Thanks much for doing this!

Thanks for your questions.

I'd agree with you and your doctor that with such a high viral load and relatively low CD4 count and percentage that starting treatment makes good preventive medicine sense.

The combination of Lexiva and Truvada has not yet been extensively studied, though there is reason to believe that is should be very well tolerated with little toxicity. A recent study showed that there isn't any interaction between the tenofovir part of Truvada and fosamprenavir (Lexiva, Telzir). Hence,in contrast to other PIs that have some interaction with tenofovir, this combo should have somewhat more predictable results with regard to toxicity and potency.

Because of the ability to dose once-daily and apparent improvements in the kind of resistance pattern seen in patients, I prefer to use fosamprenavir (as most other PIs as well) as a ritonavir- (Norvir) boosted combination.

Either way, stick with the adherence and strive to miss fewer than 1 or 2 doses per month.

Let us know how your side effects and lab tests go. I'm sure that our readers will be interested.

Good luck, BY

Is my situation normal?
considering treatment