Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

cd4 percentage of 9% - concern?
May 21, 2005

I have been on a drug holiday for four years. My cd4 counts have steadily gone from 800 to 270. My cd4 percentage has steadily gone from 28% to 9%. When it got to 14% (over a year ago), I told my doctor that I was concerned since the definition of AIDS is a cd4 percentage of less than 14. He responded "percentage perschmentage - it doesn't matter". During my drug holiday my viral load has been between 10,000 and 37,000 (last test). Last week I insisted that I start HAART. My question: was I wrong, or should I have waited until my cd4 absolute went to 200 (as my doctor suggested) and just ignored the percentage count?

Response from Dr. Young

Thanks for your post.

In short, I'd definitely be concerned about not being on treatment with a CD4 percentage of 9. I don't agree with your doctor that percentage is irrelevant-- indeed, anything less than 15 is considered AIDS by the Centers for Disease Control's criteria.

So, I agree that resuming treatment is indicated. Waiting around for lower counts means to me that you might be waiting around for a serious health condition to occur.

Good luck, BY

Previous
Hit Hard and Hit Early
Next
Medication Advice

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.