The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Trizivir combo?
May 14, 2005

Hello, guys. Appreciate your input on this site. You provide a lot of info and encouragement. My question is: My initial therapy began with Trizivir about 6 months ago. It had my viral count down from over 100,000 to 115, my T-helper count was around 600. however, when I appeared to be developing a rash, my doctor switched me to Kaletra, Reyataz, and Emtriva. But after about a week, I gave up trying to swallow the Kaletra capsules. I practically choked everytime I tried to swallow those horse pills. He hasn't told me what to do in this instance yet. We keep playing telephone tag, but hinted that he may put me back on the Trizivir since he thinks the rash I had was actually dry skin rather than a medication reaction. What are your thoughts on my situation?

Response from Dr. Pierone

Even though it might turn out fine, I think it would be too risky to restart Trizivir. If the rash was severe enough to lead to a change in regimen it must be assumed that this was an abacavir (Ziagen) hypersensitivity reaction. If so, restarting can have catastrophic consequences.

The second regimen of Kaletra, Reyataz, and Emtriva is quite peculiar as well. It sounds like you need to have a sit down meeting with your clinician and discuss in detail what the medical treatment plan is. If you can't get a lucid description of what he or she is thinking then it may be time for a second opinion. Thanks for posting and best of luck to you.

switch to viramune?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint