Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Is is time to start?
May 14, 2005

Dear doctor,

Im positive since 1999 with a diagnostic for hepatitis B too. About hepatitis, this infection became negative. Then I started to control my viral load, CD4, CD3,CD8. I had during these last six years oportunists infections, HPV, DIARREA,PNEUMONIA, ORAL CANDIDÍASE. My doctor still doesnt start de therapy with the drugs. At this moment, my viral load is about 52.930, my CD4 480, but has changed for 814. My viral load was about 10.000 and now, as I told you, has changed for 52.930. In Brazil, where I live, there is an orientation to start with the drugs just CD4 about 350 and below this number, 250, 300, etc... What your opinion about this? I feel so bad at this moment. tired, muscles pain, diarrea, oral candidíase and anal codyloma.

My best regards

Response from Dr. Pierone

The recommendations that suggest treatment initiation below 350 CD4 cells pertain to asymptomatic patients. There are some people that have HIV-related symptoms with higher CD4 counts; it sounds like this fits your situation. Since you are not asymptomatic you should push your doctor to offer you a therapy trial. Hope this helps and best of luck to you.

Previous
Clinical Trial
Next
Best treatment for toe-nails?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.