The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Resources For Doc Selection

May 12, 2005

Hi! I have just been diagnosed as HIV positive --- and am having a tough time keeping it together. I have never had anal sex and no one has ever jacked in my mouth... so I am feeling so angry that this could happen to me. I am doing me best to deal with it and move on to the appropriate step. My question - I live in the Boston area.... how do I find the right doctor? Are there any good resources to select a physician? Is ot better to work with an Int Med doc who specializes in HIV treatment? Or to work with an Infectious Disease Specialist? I've tried searching on line for advice blogs, etc with folks' doc recommendations, but have not found anything. Can you help?

Thanks, Alex

Response from Dr. Young


Thanks for your post and I'm very sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis.

You're fortunate to live in a city with a number of excellent HIV care centers. I believe that it is less important whether the doctor that you work with is internal medicine, family medicine or infectious disease trained, but rather is an up-to-date HIV specialist. Many (but certainly not all) HIV specialists have "certification" from the American Academy of HIV Medicine (AAHIVM). You can search for their members on their website-

The Fenway health program and many of the universities in Boston offer world-class, highly respected doctors.

Probably the best way to proceed is to contact your local AIDS service organization (check out for advise.

Good luck, good health to you. BY

how much do cd4 increase by?
Hiv+ behavior

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint