Resources For Doc Selection

Hi! I have just been diagnosed as HIV positive --- and am having a tough time keeping it together. I have never had anal sex and no one has ever jacked in my mouth... so I am feeling so angry that this could happen to me. I am doing me best to deal with it and move on to the appropriate step. My question - I live in the Boston area.... how do I find the right doctor? Are there any good resources to select a physician? Is ot better to work with an Int Med doc who specializes in HIV treatment? Or to work with an Infectious Disease Specialist? I've tried searching on line for advice blogs, etc with folks' doc recommendations, but have not found anything. Can you help?

Thanks, Alex

Alex,

Thanks for your post and I'm very sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis.

You're fortunate to live in a city with a number of excellent HIV care centers. I believe that it is less important whether the doctor that you work with is internal medicine, family medicine or infectious disease trained, but rather is an up-to-date HIV specialist. Many (but certainly not all) HIV specialists have "certification" from the American Academy of HIV Medicine (AAHIVM). You can search for their members on their website- aahivm.org.

The Fenway health program and many of the universities in Boston offer world-class, highly respected doctors.

Probably the best way to proceed is to contact your local AIDS service organization (check out ASOfinder.com) for advise.

Good luck, good health to you. BY

how much do cd4 increase by?
Hiv+ behavior