Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Serious Question
Dec 22, 1999

I wrote last week reguarding a protien drink my Dr. prescribed for me. I believe that he said it was called "Jankins" He told me its now being used on HIV patients to help them bulk up after some muscle loss. And this is no joke what I say, but it's used on chickens. Said it increased their bulk by 30%. I really need to know if you have ANY information about this. My insurance wont pay, so it will be 149 bucks out of my wallet. Thank you.

Response from Dr. Cohen

Sorry - haven't heard about a formula that sounds like Jenkins, nor one that has previously proved to be of help to our fair feathered fowl-friends.

It sounds like you are unconvinced, but your MD is. Why not ask for the info that your MD has seen that convinced him/her that it is worth the dough - including hopefully some human experience? I mean, we can sometimes generalize from animal data, but a 30% bulkier chicken may or may not tell us what it would do for you... certainly not clear that it is worth the $149. If you are suspicious, ask if there is any financial relationship between the company and your MD. If there isn't then it may be that it is just some info neither of us have seen... but might be reasonable.

Good luck. CC

Previous
Painful gums and bad breath
Next
Switching from Crixivan to Nelfinavir

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.